Frequently Asked Questions

What types of financial aid is available for students attending Atlanta Technical College (ATC)? ATC administers a variety of federal and state financial aid programs.  ATC does not participate in the federal or state student loan program.

When should I apply for financial aid to ensure the availability of funds on the first day of class? Applicants are encouraged to begin the application process as soon as possible prior to the academic year/term they would like to receive financial assistance. The academic year is July 1 – June 30, and the priority deadline date is March 1 preceding the chosen academic year. Should the applicant fail to meet the priority deadline date, all aid applications and supportive documents must be submitted to the aid office by the following quarterly deadline dates:

  • Summer Semester ~ March 1
  • Fall Semester ~ June 15
  • Spring Semester ~ October 15

What is the preferred method of applying for financial aid? Unless the student has obtained a bachelor’s degree, applicants are encouraged to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at The FAFSA can be used to apply for federal and state financial aid programs. Students, and their parents if the student is under the age of 24, must sign the FAFSA. The preferred and fasted way to sign the application is the personal identification number (PIN) obtained from the federal processor. ATC’s federal school (008543) must be entered on the FAFSA.

Do I need to be accepted for admission prior to applying for aid?  No! It is recommended that you apply for aid as soon as possible and no later than the deadline dates shown above.

Do I have to reapply for aid every year? Yes! The academic year is July 1 – June 30. The federal processor sends renewal application notifications soon after January 1 each year.

If I did not file an income tax, what should I do? Students, and the parents of dependent students (normally students under the age of 24), must provide income information (W-2 income earned from work, social security income, VA, child support, etc.) on the FAFSA. If you have additional questions regarding income, please contact your financial aid counselor.

Will I receive all of the aid listed on the website or my award letter? Financial aid awards are made based on full-time attendance. If you enroll for less than full time, your award for the term will be re-evaluated based on your actual enrollment status. The aid is normally prorated based on ¾ Time, ½ Time and/or less than ½ Time attendance. THEREFORE: YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE FULL TIME TO RECEIVE FINANCIAL AID FUNDS. Please note: financial aid is designed to only pay for the courses required for your chosen program of study. You should make arrangements with the Business Office to pay for courses not required for your chosen program.

What happens to the money that is not disbursed to me because I am enrolled less than full time? If your award is prorated for less than full time attendance, said funds cannot be issued to the school on your behalf. Any other words, the federal and state governments will not issue undisbursed funds to ATC.

Do I have to apply for financial aid to receive my $500 HOPE GED Voucher? Yes! Although the GED Voucher is a one-time award for passing the GED, you must still complete the FAFSA or electronic HOPE Application.

What happens if I receive federal or state funds in error? Federal and/or state financial aid funds received in error must be repaid by the student.

What if it is not my fault that I received the funds in error? It does not matter who is at fault. Federal and state funds are a benefit provided to assist qualifying students with their educational expenses. If you receive funds for which you do not qualify, they must be repaid.